Monday, February 15, 2010

Heart Therapy

I'm happy to say I have survived another Valentine's Day, or as I like to call it, National Singles Awareness Day! Honestly, it can be so painful, or in the least, awkward. No other time of the year is it rubbed in my face so clearly that I don't have a "lover, significant other, husband, or whatever you might call it." Basically, it's the day that says "if you are without a partner, you are a loser."

When my kids were little, they'd bring home cute little cards and paper flowers made at school. As they got older, they'd give me some token of love that they had bought or made, and I always had gifts for them. That all made it somewhat more "do-able." However, now that they're grown-up, they have boyfriends or a husband to lavish their attention on, and I really don't think they are hoping for a valentine from their mommy when they have their menfolk to celebrate with.

So as I sat having my pity party yesterday, I received a couple of messages (or should I say valentines?) from God in the form of emails and prayers. One friend reminded me that I have so many people who love me. Another sent a valentine poem (albeit a little cheesy) "from God." Someone else suggested that I read the book of Ruth with Boaz in mind as God and Ruth as myself.

Once I finished my crying and ranting at God, I realized how much of a whiner I am. I decided to make a list of all the people who I know love me. Then I thanked God for the poem, which really did remind me of how much he loves me. Then I turned to my Bible. I am reminded that God is my husband for now. He provides for me even when I don't know it. He protects me. He is my Valentine every day.

I have so much more than some women do. Shame on me for feeling sorry for myself. I thank God for my family and friends, for His assurance that He loves me, and for the reality check that I don't need an earthly man to make me worthy. He is so good to me! He is the best Valentine I could ask for.

Have a blessed day!

6 comments:

  1. Amen sista!! (maybe we should have joined our pity parties!! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I thought of that today. We totally could have hung out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't know how I would handle the situation. I know that I have had many years where I didn't feel loved on valentine's day and have had a pity party listening to what everyone else's man did for them. I can say that I am over it now.... but what if things went back to how they were? Would I be so sure? hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. **up on soap box- We all need to quit letting the world dictate how we feel about ourselves! If there wasn't so much 'hype' about the holiday's, we wouldn't get so depressed when we don't have someone to share valentines day with. We are beautiful women and loved by God and our families!! Lord help us look to You for all our needs and help us see past the wordly holidays. **down off soap box

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I've always looked at Valentine's day as a day to show a little extra love to others. It's hard sometimes to focus outside oursleves when the media is in your face all the time about romance. But that is the worlds point of view. Sometimes even in relationship a person can feel unloved even on Valentine's day. You can be my Valeninte. Too bad we live so far away from each other I would have taken you out for a romantic dinner. :) Love you friend you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete