Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gotcha!

Okay, how many of us want to believe that we're pushovers? I know I certainly don't. But it has recently occurred to me that I have allowed myself to be manipulated by skilled professionals, and you may have been too!

I'm talking about those Superbowl commercials. I'm no big football fan, but I found myself sitting at home all alone with the Superbowl going just so I could see the commercials. Then, when I realized I had missed a lot of them because I had been busy, I went to youtube and watched them all! What on earth?! How did they get me to do that? I'll tell you how.

The commercials have become one of the best parts about watching the game, and there is so much hype leading up to the event that we just can't wait to see it all! How dumb is that? When else would I sit and search for commercials to watch? Never! In fact, one of the things I love about my DVR is that I can skip the commercials. But come Superbowl time, I'm one of those goofballs who sit and watch the commercials. Most of them are great, and this year there was the added hype about the Tebow spot which, by the way, was a great disappointment, but they're still just commercials. The advertisers' way of getting into my brain and manipulating me.

Although I didn't go out and buy a case of Doritos, and I didn't have an urge to break open a cold one, the masters of manipulation did get hold of my senses for a short while. They are really good at what they do. I can just picture them sitting there saying, "Gotcha!"

Have a blessed day!

6 comments:

  1. Your blog is spot on! I almost watched even though I was home alone... won't admit to what I ended up watching instead. Anyway, then Joe came home and told me that we should go online to watch the ads. Well, we haven't watched, but we have talked about it, and you are right, what other time of the year does ANYONE seek to watch advertising.

    I've got a question for you? Since I haven't watched any of the ads, why was the Tebow one a let down? The adversaries were sure ticked about it, which made me think it would be something worth taking the time to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tebow thing was a let down because it was built up to be a "pro-life" message. I had to watch it twice to see what it was saying, and it just seemed so ambiguous. The adversaries were upset about it because they were assuming, like the rest of us that it would be a strong message. Honestly, if I hadn't heard about it ahead of time, I don't think I would have known what they were saying. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The advertisers "got-me" too.

    I was disappointed in the Tebow ad until I realized the pro-death crowd actually spread the pro-life message.

    With all of the hype, I expected an very blunt message against abortion. Obviously the pro-death crowd did as well and they attempted to spin the anticipated message. However in their angst over the ad, they drew attention to a life saved and the joy of living.

    For groups that are all about a woman's independence and freedom of choice, they seemed to condemn Mrs. Tebow for choosing not to kill her unborn son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Mark, in fact, it was all their complaining that got my attention. They are the best advertisers we could ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes!!! You are right! I did the same thing, only I watched them on Yahoo! LOL

    But as far as superbowl commercial entertainment goes, I really miss the BudBowl!

    ReplyDelete